Monday, October 12, 2009

The Lisbon Treaty

Last week the country determined the future of the country by approving the Lisbon Treaty. After failing to get a "yes" vote last year, the Government brought it in again this year.

I had mixed feelings about the whole thing. I believe that it would benefit the country in a way as it would help us escape this financial crisis that we are in. On the other hand, I had a bad feeling about it as I think that in the future, more bad could come of it than good. I felt there was a secretive aspect to it where in the future we may be in the situation where we were not fully informed about the Lisbon Treaty and its hidden laws. We may find ourselves in the situation where the Government could bring in a new law or rule that the country never believed it could or would be brought in.

I voted "no" due to the reason explained above. I didn't listen to the "no" campaign as much this year as I know that a lot of it is made up. For example, the minimum wage dropping to €1.84 an hour. I didn't believe this for a minute.

On a positive note, maybe voting "yes" was a good idea as it will help Ireland to escape this financial mess. We need a break through, and as I am going on work placement in 2010, by then, hopefully, there may be more jobs available not just to me, but to the rest of my class also.

On the other hand, I do believe there was a hidden meaning to the Lisbon Treaty. I don't know what it is but I'm sure we will all find out in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment